Pages

About Me

My Photo
I have a little garden in Rozelle about 5km from the centre of Sydney. I love to grow as much organic food as I can in a tiny space. The garden calms and excites me, and is a wonderful little green space in a big city. This blog is a record plotting the changes over seasons and years.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

First water lily flower!

My first water lily flower!  I bought a dwarf hardy water lily when the pond was set up (maybe 6 months ago).  I chose this variety because my water depth is only about 50cm, and once the plant is potted up the water lily is only 10cm below the surface. The standard water lilies need 30-60cm of water.  I planted it in a 20cm square pot filled with good quality topsoil and a 3cm layer of sand.  
 Here is the first bloom making its way to the surface (early Sept)
 Here it is popping its little head above the surface to have a look around (mid Sept)
And today when I woke up...this is what greeted me!  There is another bud on its way up to the surface too.  The flower, seeds and rhizomes are all edible.  You can dry out the rhizomes and grind them to make flour.  I'll keep that in mind if I am stranded in a place where water lilies are growing wild.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Congratulations on the new bambino! Looks gorgeous.

Corinne said...

Gorgeous! You know Lilies of any type are always close to my heart! xx

Paul said...

Lovely. I do like water plants, but my pond is quite small and reasonably shaded, So I don't do so well in the lily department.

julie paterson - garden said...

how gorgeous - what a beautiful flower.

Lanie said...

You are all so lovely sharing my excitement over a water lily flower!

Sarah McGrath said...

So beautiful and tranquil looking!